Ormoc On My Mind
September 26, 2021, 07:42:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
  Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Western Leyte College History


Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Leyte College History  (Read 1597 times)
webmaster
Full Member
***
Posts: 104



View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: September 16, 2013, 04:23:26 am »

A Brief Historical Sketch 

From out of the fragments of the Second World War, a handful of educationally – minded citizens of Ormoc, del imbued with pioneering spirit, rolled their sleeves, cleared the surrounding debris, and started to put up an institution of learning, presumably to satisfy the community’s acute thirst for knowledge brought about by the Second World War.


The school thus founded, then called the Ormoc High School on July 1, 1945 and was authorized to open a complete High School Course through the efforts of Dr. Felipe D. Adolfo Sr. Rising from the ashes of World War II, Ormocanons welcomed with anticipation the birth of a local college whose founders and first members of the Board of Trustees were: Mr. Usualdo Laguitan, President; Mr. Jose Navarro, Vice-President, Felipe Adolfo Sr., Secretary – Treasurer, Mr.Valeriano Daffon, Mr. Eualatio Aparis, Atty. Guillermo Parrilla, Mr. Fortunato Malonzo, Mr. MarioVillariza, Atty. Lucilo Con-ui, Miss Anselma Jumalon, Members. The opening of this new institution of learning also coincided with the system of acceleration which was then permitted by the Department of Education. In January, 1946, Ormoc High School opened its first graduation exercises with 17 candidates for graduation, took place in April 1946; the second was in June of the same year. By April 1947, the High School Department was graduating a total of 47 students.


An interesting group of an abridged first year class was opened in December 1946 which was also close in June 1947. This class was composed of a homogenous group of A-1 accelerated students. Summer classes in the High School Department were operated for the first time in 1946, was a red – letter day for this infant institution.


On this day, the High School Department was granted full recognition. It is for this reason that College Day Activities is held in the month of February. Towards the end of the school year 1945 – 1946, the name Ormoc High School was changed to Western Leyte College / Ormoc Educational Corporation. July 1946 was the opening of collegiate courses at Western Leyte College. Complete courses in Preparatory Law leading to the title of Associate in Arts (A.A.), and a teacher’s course leading to the title of Elementary Teacher’s Certificate (E.T.C.) were first offered.


Summer 1947 came really hot and sweltering for the local community the heat thus generated, ahs inspired people to come out of their shells and seek enrolment within the portals of the Western Leyte College, at this time Western Leyte College was still the Mejia Compound, and along Bonifacio Street were our present building stands. At this time, Western Leyte College had an enrollment considered as one of the highest in the Province of Leyte. The first collegiate graduation exercises took place on June 20, 1947 with ten (10) graduates from the normal course and from the Pre-Law courses. Through a special permit issued from Manila, the teachers who were finishing the last three subjects at the time were allowed to graduate.


During the school year 1947 – 48, the Preparatory – Law Course was granted permanent recognition. Authorization was renewed for the operation of the two-year normal course and the operation of the Elementary Training Department. The opening of the first three years of Education leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Education was also authorized a permit to open the first year regular law was received. This was followed later with a permit to open the second year of the regular law course. Due to lack of enrollment however Western Leyte College was forced to discontinue the operation of these two years of the regular law course.


By June 8, 1959, Western Leyte College received its recognition for the operation on the one-year Secretarial Course. On June 11, 1966, three government recognitions were received for three of its authorized courses. These were Government Recognition No. 166 for the Commerce Course. Despite her humble beginning, Western Leyte College carried on the responsibilities of an educational institution. As a growing institution, Western Leyte College faces with optimism in her determination of educating the city’s popularize motivated by cultural and educational proficiency.


In 1982, honorable Manuel T. Fiel became the President of Western Leyte College at present; a model/leader with moral integrity and intellectual capacity.

It was in May 5, 2003, when Western Leyte College was granted authority to offer Six-Months Course in Caregiver, on January 7, 2004 certification of TVET Program Registration NTR No. 030803001 granting authority to offer One-Year Course in Nursing Aide; and Cert. TVET Program Registration NTR No. 030803047 granting to offer the program in Two-Year Course in Nursing Aide. In June 1996 – Govt. Recognition No. 020 S. 1996 – Pursuant to Rep. Act of 1996 – Pursuant to Rep. Act No. 2706, as amended, and R.A. No. 7720, otherwise known as Higher Education Act of 1994, and based on existing requirements and regulations, the two-year Midwifery leading to the title Graduate in Midwifery (GM) granted on June 1996 which certification was given on October 1996. A temporary permit was given to Western Leyte College for nursing course No. 03 series of 2004 and Government Recognition No. 03 S. 2006 for College of Law (LLB).


Today, stands proud after 60 years of existence and service to the city in particular and the nation in general thereby producing graduates who are now occupying prestigious and dignified positions in the government and private sectors especially in Ormoc City.


Western Leyte College of Ormoc City Incorporated is a stock corporation and a non-sectarian institution which was founded through hope, faith and prayers by 101 stockholders.
 
Source: http://www.wlc-ormoc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=66
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter



Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
MySMF - Create your own Forum

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy